MANILA, September 27, 2014. – St. Martin de Porres Charity Hospital (SMPCH) celebrates its 55 years of compassionate service yesterday and officially unveil the new facilities to the public.
Angelo King Foundation, Inc (AKFI) Chairman Archimedes King who is also the head of Panorama Enterprises behind Victoria Court Hotels headed the celebration which started as early as 6:00am via a motorcade around San Juan City Hall & Barangay Kabayanan and followed by a thanksgiving mass at SMPCH Chapel.
Chairman King and San Juan City Mayor Guia Gomez also graced the ribbon cutting and blessing of the Belen R. King Mercy Ward (Su
Angelo King Foundation, Inc (AFKI) founded by Filipino philantrophist Angelo King, has been known for their charitable works since 1976 committed to assist and initiate funding of different social development programs, poverty alleviating endeavours and spiritually/morally uplifting pursuits.
AFKI has partnered with a lot of NGO programs and has helped a lot with its partneship with a lot of cooperatives, hospitals and colleges to name a few.
Originally known as the Blessed Martin de Porres Free Clinic, the St. Martin de Porres Charity Hospital (SMPCH) started as a tiny seed in just a simple one-room at the ground floor of the Covenant of the Dominican Fathers in San Juan, Rizal (now San Juan City) on September 27, 1959.
Atty. Lila Quirino, horseback riding teacher of Mr. Angelo King, was the one who brought the philantrophist to St. Martin de Porres. Mr. King visited SMPCH which at that time was only a 50-bed service hospital and inquired how much was needed to tear the building down and build a new one. Dra. Quirino answered that they would need Php 600K but Mr. King responded with a Php 1M instead. Very soon, the new building rose which also marked the start of continuous improvements in the hospital making St. Martin de Porres Charity Hospital not only the biggest but one of the best charity hospitals in Metro Manila.