New World Manila Bay Hotel offers monthly cooking classes called Cooking by the Bay and I had the chance to attend one of their classes courtesy of Doña Elena Olive Oil. I was able to learn some of all-time favorite Spanish dishes through their “Taste of Spain” Spanish Cooking Class. Check Paella’s recipe and cooking instructions here:
|75||ml||Doña Elena olive oil|
|200||g||chicken thighs, marinated in :|
|1/4 tsp. paprika, 1tsp.olive oil, salt and pepper|
|1||pc||onion, finely sliced|
|4||pcs||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1||pc||capsicum, cut into strips|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|600||g||bomba rice, washed|
|15||pcs||saffron threads, soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water|
|1.2||L||boiling hot chicken and/or seafood broth,|
|mixed with 1tsp.paprika, salt and pepper|
|150||g||squid, sliced in rings|
|3||pcs||cooked whole crabs, cut into bite-sized pieces|
|15||pcs||cooked clams or 16 – 20 pieces fresh clams|
|2||tsp||Italian parsley, finely chopped|
HOW TO COOK PAELLA MIXTA
- In a paella pan, heat 50 ml of Dona Elena olive oil and saute chicken until skin turns brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, then add garlic and capsicum. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add crashed tomatoes, then saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and stir in until all ingredients are coated. Add olive oil if needed.
Tomato paste must be cooked until color darkens but not burned.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika. Mix until it is evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place rice and saute until translucent, stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Control your pan temperature. This will take a while.
- Pour saffron liquid first and mix. Then add the broth.
(Note: Don’t worry if all the broth cannot fit at this point, the balance can be added later.)
From this moment, the cooking time is approximately 20-25 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. At this moment, do not stir. From high to medium heat, turn heat to low once liquid evaporated.
- Once rice is almost cooked, add the squid and prawns. Cover with foil until prawns and squid are cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients evenly & decoratively throughout the skillet in the following order: clams, mussels and crabs, olive and green peas.
Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove foil, sprinkle with parsley and decorate with lemon wedges.